Lactose Free Nutrition Bars
What is Lactose?
Lactose is a major type of sugar found in milk and milk products, including human milk. Lactose makes up less than eight percent of the solids in milk. Lactose is not found naturally in any other food aside from dairy products.
Lactose intolerance is caused by the inability of the body to break down milk sugars. In a normal person, lactase, an enzyme produced by the small intestine, breaks down lactose so it can be absorbed into the bloodstream. People who are lactose intolerant cannot produce enough lactase and are unable to process lactose.
As a rule, mammals lose the ability to digest lactose as they get older. Humans have undergone a mutation that allows them to retain a 10 percent capacity to produce lactase. This is normally enough to allow humans to digest milk and dairy products. Some people, however, don't retain this 10 percent, so they cannot consume any fresh milk and milk products at all throughout their adult lives.Omega Smarts Original line is completely Vegan and therefore Lactose Free.
Our "Youth in a Bar" line does contain *non denatured whey or *goat milk protein or *goat mineral whey *(check individual flavors for which one it includes)
We use Mineral Whey in our "Youth in a Bar line because:
- Mineral whey is easily digested and well tolerated, even by those that can't digest cow milk. (Goat-milk molecules are much closer to those found in human milk!)
- It is low-allergen, alkalizing, and supplies electrolytes and minerals.
The molecular composition (size) of goat- milk protein is most like human milk, making it easier to digest and absorb. Many individuals allergic or reactive to cow*s milk easily tolerate goat*s milk because the protein molecules are one- fifth smaller than that of cow*s milk*making it a perfect choice for those with com- promised digestive systems. For these individuals, it is especially valuable when the goat-milk protein is partially pre-digested through lactic acid fermentation*virtually eliminating the lactose content of the milk, and facilitating digestion through the creation of digestive enzymes.We use Goat-milk Protein Powder in our "Youth in a Bar" line because it*
- Contains beneficial bacteria designed to be resistant to heat, cold, chlorine, fluorine, stomach acid and extremes of pH.
- Is a balanced combination of rich milk and whey proteins containing amino acids
- Is fermented using a lactic acid bacterium that creates biologically active lactic acid*used for energy production and fat burning
- Is credited by the healthiest and longest living people for their longevity
- Is a cultured (lacto-fermented) dairy product, credited by some as capable of lowering cholesterol and protecting against bone loss
- Is abundant in naturally occurring digestive enzymes i.e. protease, amylase, lipase and lactase
- Is produced from goats that are not fed pesticide-contaminated food, herbicides, growth hormones or antibiotics
We use Non denatured Whey in our "Youth in a Bar" line because it*
They contain the full range of the fragile immune modulating and regenerative protein components naturally present in raw milk. Non denatured whey is the result of years of work to perfect a system that produces only the highest quality native whey protein. These superior products contain the highest amounts of the glutathione precursor covalent bonded cysteine. Additionally they contain the full range and highest levels of the most important protein components: Lactoferrin, Immunoglobulins, Bovine Serum Albumin, Active Peptides and Growth Factors.
Traditionally, even the most expensive whey products available (isolates, ion exchange and hydrolyzed) are denatured by-products of cheese manufacture. They have definite limitations in preserving the biological activity of the whey proteins. The milk goes through a heating process (approx. 163° F), chemical modification and pH regulation to produce cheese. Each of these steps damages/ denatures** the whey proteins. The damaged proteins are then filtered out and what remains is a narrow range of undenatured proteins that have survived the cheese manufacturing process. From this point on there is little heat added and some of these whey proteins products are then referred to as undenatured/ cold process. It is not possible to undenature a protein. Also the vital protein bound fats have been removed.
Regarding Whey Protein Concentrate: The journal Immunology reports: The bioactivity occurs through the ability of the protein concentrate to help replenish Glutathione levels via continuous dietary provision of Glutathione precursors, especially Cysteine, during lymphocyte proliferation, thus supporting an optimal immune response.
This process seems to not only increase intercellular levels of Glutathione and precursors at the time of ingestion, but also builds up stores of these substances within the cells which lasts for a substantial post-ingestion time interval.
* Fidelus RK, Tsan MF. GSH and lymphocyte activation: a function of aging and autoimmune disease. Immunology 61: 503-508, 1987